A Primer on Low-Carb Lab Testing
Free email course on the what, how, and why of using lab tests to support a low carb or ketogenic diet.
What you’ll learn:
- What tests matter
- How to interpret results
- Why your results might look funny
Low-carb Lab Testing
Are you following a low-carb and/or ketogenic diet? Do you know how your low-carb lifestyle is impacting your overall health?
While we may experience many obvious benefits with low-carb nutrition, such as weight loss, increased energy levels, and reduced (or eliminated) medications and disease symptoms, it is also important to keep an eye on your lab test results.
Are your cholesterol numbers improving? Could an underlying thyroid issue be impeding your weight loss progress? Are your fasting insulin numbers sky high even though your fasting glucose numbers fall within normal ranges?
Understanding how to interpret and track vital lab test results will give you a more complete picture of your overall health and make you more informed and empowered on your low-carb journey.
Know Your Numbers
The Low-carb Lab Testing series has been designed specifically to educate you on how to properly interpret your own lab results as you go low-carb. In this series, you will learn:
- Important lab tests to monitor as you go low-carb/keto
- How to demistify what these numbers really mean in the context of your health
- Why low-carb’ers need to interpret certain test results differently from people not following a low-carb diet
- How to track your test results using Heads Up Health so you can take an informed and data-driven approach to your health
You will be able to have more meaningful conversations with your doctor about your health as you adopt a low-carb/ketogenic eating plan. In many cases, you may find that you are more informed than your doctor when it comes to interpreting your lab tests in the context of a low-carb/ketogenic lifestyle. Most importantly, you will have all the information you need to properly assess your test results and the tools to track this data yourself as you work to achieve and maintain optimal health.
Written by Amy Berger, a Certified Nutrition Specialist and Nutritional Therapy Practitioner who specializes in low-carbohydrate nutrition, the Low-carb Lab Testing series will cover the following topics specifically in the context of a low-carb lifestyle:
- Part 1: Blood sugar tests (fasting glucose, hemoglobin A1c and fructosamine)
- Part 2: Fasting Insulin (…the most important test your doctor is not running)
- Part 3: The HOMA-IR test for assessing insulin resistance
- Part 4: How to order your own lab tests
- Part 5: Case study: Fasting insulin, fasting glucose, HOMA-IR
- Part 6: Thyroid
- Part 7: Lipids
- …more coming soon…
Sign up using the button below to begin receiving this series in your inbox. Each week, you will receive a new e-mail with valuable information about the low-carb diet’s impacts on your test results. You will also learn the tools to start tracking this data yourself so you can see the big picture when it comes to your health.