What does one do when first diagnosed with cancer? Learn why Derek Green is advocating for keto.
After his cancer diagnosis, Derek Green, sought answers as he waited six grueling weeks to be seen by his surgeon. Like a detective, he found resource after resource until eventually discovering low-carb, keto, and fasting. When these powerful dietary tools were added to conventional treatment, he was delighted to discover he was cancer-free.
Now Derek’s on a mission to help people newly diagnosed with cancer find resources and options to learn more about metabolic therapies in cancer treatments, and why he’s advocating for keto. Because anyone could go to Google, with all the confusion out there, and land on the wrong person, Derek wants to empower people by connecting them with primary research and options into a digestible form. A self-described data junkie, Derek used his glucometer for biofeedback as he tracked his ketones, fasting glucose, and glucose ketones index (GKI). He also collected data on macros, isolated foods with anti-cancer properties that were also low-carb, and built a diet around that. With his forthcoming website, he wants to help others newly diagnosed with cancer navigate the confusion that comes with knowing what to eat.
We’re excited to chat with Derek Green, who was generous enough to share so much wisdom around everything he learned during his battle with cancer, and his plans to empower people with cancer to optimize their health.
Stay tuned for his forthcoming website!
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why Derek is advocating for keto and using the ketogenic diet, along with fasting, as a powerful adjunct to conventional treatments during his cancer
- How cancer led Derek to switch careers, finding a new passion for advocacy and awareness for metabolic therapies in cancer management
- Why Derek continues to eat keto, in ketosis, and is never looking back
- How simply switching to a low-carb diet eliminated Derek’s symptoms within two weeks
- The book that led Derek to discover an integrative cancer clinic
- Why having resources for recently diagnosed cancer patients is critical
- How Dr. Jason Fung and Megan Ramos at IDM helped Derek switch from low-carb to keto
- Why Dr. Ralph Moss and the Moss Reports were invaluable
- How Derek built his ketogenic diet around low-carb foods with anti-cancer properties
- What Derek’s routine looks like: meal-timing, fasts–intermittent and extended
- Why a three-dimensional approach to cancer is important
- How Derek used an integrative oncologist as part of his care team
- The treatments Derek used during his cancer
- His love for data and the health biomarkers tracked during and after cancer
- Why Derek tracks his GKI (glucose ketones index)–“all the time”–to stay in therapeutic ketosis
- How Derek’s meal building tool on his website will help cancer patients eat keto
- How Heads Up Health can collaborate with Derek’s work: the potential in collecting this data at scale, giving people the ability to anonymously opt in to share for research studies
Watch on YouTube
Check out the interview on YouTube where Dave deep dives with Derek about his journey and mission with keto and cancer:
- Cancer Killers by Charles Majors
- Clinic of Biomedicine in Toronto
- Cancer Decisions (Moss Reports)
- Dr. Dugald Seely, ND, M.Sc.
- Intensive Dietary Management (Dr. Jason Fung and Megan Ramos)
- Marsden Centre
- Dietary Therapies (Miriam Kalamian)
- Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management and Prevention of Cancer Dr. Thomas N. Seyfried
- Tripping Over the Truth: How the Metabolic Theory of Cancer is Overturning One of Medicine’s Most Entrenched Paradigms by Travis Christofferson, M.S.